amazon

Double Chocolate Oatmeal Cherry Cookies

Just the title is drool inducing. My mother in law recently sent us as one of our many chanukah presents a bag of  dried cherries-
Exhibit A:

They are the best dried cherries I have ever had, which shouldn't surprise me because they are from Costco, whose legal name is Best Store in the Universe even though we all call it by its nickname.
I decided to challenge myself to use them in two recipes, one sweet and one savory. No ideas yet for the savory but this is what I came up with for the sweet. If you like Black forest cake, Cherry Garcia ice cream, or chocolate covered cherries, this recipe is for you. It took me a couple of times to tweak the recipe to perfection but here it is:

1 cup (2 sticks) margarine
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar (or you can use all brown)
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup flour
1/2 cup cocoa
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 1/2 cups oats ( I used quick cooking)
1 cup or more of the best dried cherries in the world
1 dark chocolate bar cut into chunks or 1 cup of chocolate chunks
Powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 350. Cream the margarine and sugars and add eggs one at a time and then the vanilla. In a separate bowl mix the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Slowly add to margarine mixture. Stir in oats, cherries and chocolate and drop a tablespoon-full on a lined cookie sheet. Bake around 10 minutes, cool, and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
(Disclaimer: these pictures are from the first batch before I tweaked the recipe. When you make them they will spread like regular cookies and wont look like these frosted meatballs)

Comments

  1. these look AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like the ulimate cookie fantasy - and healthy, too (thanks to the oats) !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to eat them! Will I get the pleasure of tasing? Please? Pretty please? With a CHERRY on top! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts