amazon

Mulled Hot Apple Cider

This is my favorite drink in the world! I order it in every restaurant I go to and if the restaurant doesn't have it on its menu, that restaurant goes on my "list'- and you don't ever want to be on my "list". Why I used to pay about 20 shekel a glass in a restaurant when it is so easy to make at home I can't tell you, but now that I have made it, there is no going back (that was a lie, I'll still order it, but I'll know mine is much better). I made it for the melava malka where it was a big hit, then I refrigerated the leftovers and heated it up the next day and it was 20x better- the cloves tasted clovier, the cinnamon was more pronounced and it just was a warm cup of heaven. So, I suggest making it 1-2 days before you want to serve it and then reheating it. It's great for a party and for the adults you can spike it and it tastes that much better and for some reason everyone is so extra friendly afterwards :). Please note my gorgeous new punchbowl bought just for the occasion- LOVE IT!

3 liters apple juice
1/2 cup brown sugar or more to taste
20 whole cloves
5 cinnamon sticks broken
Juice of one large orange
Skin of one orange, peeled (only the orange part, not the pith- using a sharp vegetable peeler will do it)
1 tsp ground ginger
3 Tbl or more of good cinnamon
One orange sliced, for garnish
Bourbon or Rum, optional but goooooooooood

Throw everything (except the alcohol) in a big pot and bring it to just a boil. Lower the flame and let it simmer for an hour, mixing occasionally. The alcohol should be mixed in right before serving. Garnish with sliced oranges.


Comments

  1. This was great. I enjoyed the "light" version while David loosened up with a nice cup of the alcoholic version. Warm and delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts