amazon

Grilled Cheese on Beer Bread with Dijon and Caramelized Onions

Did you know that April is National Grilled Cheese month? Neither did I, nor do I understand why, but I sure am a happy camper now that I've found out. I am a big grilled cheese fan and I grew up with my father making the sandwiches fried in a pan. I once went to my friend's house and tried her mother's version which was a slice of cheese on bread put in the toaster- yikes! That was just a sorry substitute for the real thing-its like putting ketchup and cheese on a rice cake and calling it pizza. But I digress. Anyway, for what feels like most of April I have been staying away from bread but now I'm happy to get in a grilled cheese to celebrate this very important (read: interesting) milestone on the calender- and let me tell you, this is a grilled cheese for the books! Made from fresh beer bread this sandwich is elevated to new heights. Beer and Cheddar cheese are one of those flavor combinations that are timeless and the slightly sweet bread with the sharp Dijon, melted onions, and oozing Cheddar is HEAVENLY. Take a bite of this rustic yet gourmet sandwich experience and feel free to call and say thank you.


For two sandwiches:
4 Slices Beer Bread
2 tsp good quality Dijon mustard
4 Slices Cheddar cheese
1 small onion, sliced
pinch of dried thyme
2 Tbl oil
salt and pepper
Sliced tomato, optional
Butter, for grilling


Start by slicing the onion and letting it saute in a pan with the 2 Tbl oil, thyme and a little salt and pepper until caramelized.  Spread 1 teaspoon of Dijon on one side of each of the sandwich. Layer on the onions and cheddar and tomato and close the sandwich. Heat a couple of tablespoons of butter in the pan you fried the onions in- place the sandwiches in and press down with a plate or weight until the cheese starts to melt and the bread starts to crisp. Turn the sandwich over and crisp the other side as well.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts