amazon

SUPERBOWL recipes!! and Corn and Black Bean Salsa


It's SUPERBOWL time!!! By now, I have been subjected to no less than a month of sports radio played in my house constantly to the point that I am ashamed to admit I actually know the names of many of the players playing, their stats and their injuries and have been singing the WFAN jingle in my head (it's so catchy and that Kars for Kids song? Can't get it out of my head!)I have said it once and I'll say it again, I am no fan of the sport which to me just seems like a legal barbaric way for men to get their testosterone out by knocking each other down and smacking into each other. Kind of sounds like the cave men, no? But I have also admitted that I do like the food culture of the super bowl - the dips and chips, wings and all the good stuff and being the ever good wife it is incumbent on me to provide food for my dear, football loving, glued to the game, hungry hubby. Over here, the game will be watched at 3 in the morning or so, and while I'm sure no one would object to eating deep fried wings at that time of morning whilst never taking their eyes off the screen, it makes me feel better to provide a healthy-ish snack as well. Enter the corn and black bean salsa- a refreshing, hearty, spicy and tasty "salsa" or salad that goes great with taco chips and even scoops up great into celery for those avoiding the chips. Of course, the other, more typical food is required as well so I posted a few oldies but goodies from the blog that would be perfect for your super bowl party. Enjoy!

For the salsa:
1 can of sweet yellow corn
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 small jalapeno, diced
one small red onion diced
1 tomato, diced finely
1/2 a red pepper, finely diced
3 scallions, diced
1/4 cup chopped parsley or cilantro
3 cloves garlic, minced
 6 Tbl olive oil
3 Tbl lime or lemon juice
1 tsp cumin
salt and pepper to taste

Combine the corn and vegetables and toss lightly. Whisk the parsley, garlic, oil, lemon, and cumin and pour over corn mixture. Mix gently and let it marinate for at least half an hour for the flavors to meld. Season to taste with salt and pepper.






And now for a couple of Super Bowl faves...










Comments

  1. David from Staten IslandFebruary 5, 2012 at 8:13 AM

    Hi Fagie, thanks for having me on. Long time first time... I'm just going to ask you a few questions, then hang up and listen to your answers.
    First of all, how can you stand that Kars for Kids jingle? I have to change the channel anytime I hear it.
    2: "Mike and the Mad Dog" was a good jingle, I tolerated "Miked Up", but isn't there something really strange about "Mike's On"? It seems like a joke?
    Third, while everything in this post looks good, you can't serve old blog posts at a Super Bowl party. I hope you actually made some of these again.
    Lastly, Don't you think it was a travesty that Bill didn't get into the hall?
    Thanks again... you're the greatest...enjoy the game...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts