amazon

Roasted Cauliflower and Leek Soup

This soup was made during winter weather a couple of weeks ago that was frightful. The wind howled day and night, the rain wouldn't let up and the cold was biting. I thought that as in previous winters that it would only last a day or two but it carried on for the better part of two weeks and while I was grateful for the rain I was desperate for some sun. It was in the midst of this cold that I decided I needed to make a thick and delicious soup to keep us warm all week and as I perused the veggies in the supermarket the beautiful cauliflowers were calling my name. The soup is really simple in that you don't need any fancy ingredients, the only thing that takes a little extra time is roasting the cauliflower which I think is essential as the roasting brings out its sweetness and flavor. I served it to a rain beaten and just drenched crowd and the compliments came pouring in. Then, because I made so much of it, I got to enjoy it the rest of the week and didn't get sick of it once (an accomplishment for me)! Enjoy!

3 Tbl olive oil
2 head cauliflower, broken into big florets
6 cloves garlic, unpeeled
3 large leeks, cleaned and sliced
3Tbl olive oil
1 large carrot, chopped
3 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
1/3 cup fresh parsley
1/4 cup fresh dill
12 cups chicken or vegetable stock
salt and pepper to taste

Pre-heat the oven to 400. On a baking tray spread out the cauliflower with the garlic cloves and toss with 3 Tbl olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and roast for about 25 minutes until the cauliflower has some color on it and the garlic is tender. In a stock pot, saute the leeks in the oil until tender. Add the carrot, cauliflower, the garlic (squeezed from the skin) and the potatoes. Add the stock and season with salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Once the soup is at a boil, add the parsley and dill and season with salt and pepper. Cook the soup for about 45 minutes until all the veggies are tender. Puree with an immersion blender, check for seasoning and serve!




Comments

  1. Wow, I guess it was so windy that some grass flew into your bowl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds and looks delicious thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum. Made this for my dinner tonight, thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can it be halved to make less?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts