amazon

Garlic and Lemon Kale





I don't know where kale has been my whole life but I first had it only a couple of years ago and was instantly hooked. It's taste is similar to spinach but I find it to be a heartier green and it has almost a bittersweet taste to it as opposed to the more mild spinach and it packs a massive health punch. Tons of vitamins and good stuff so it tastes good and is good for you (I sound like a commercial, don't I?)This recipe is my favorite way to eat kale. Sauteed in lots of garlic and seasoned with lemon zest and a squeeze of lemon juice it is just the perfect side dish to any meal. I have never actually seen kale in Israel though apparently you can get it in organic stores and I think someone in the neighborhood actually grows it and sells it in her garden but I have yet to try it so I'm loading up on all the kale here while its available, abundant and cheap. Many recipes I have seen call for boiling the kale before cooking it in the pan but I prefer to steam saute it by adding some water or broth while it's cooking in the pan and then cover it so it steams in the garlic oil. I think the texture comes out better this way but if your way is to boil first then go ahead. Enjoy!


1 lb of de-stemmed and de-ribbed kale
7 cloves of garlic (yes I know its a lot but its gooooood that way!), finely minced
3 Tbl olive oil
1/2 cup water
1 tsp lemon zest
1 Tbl fresh lemon juice


In a large pot heat up the oil and then add the garlic. Saute the garlic making sure it does not burn and then add the kale tossing it with tongs so that the oil and garlic touch all the kale. You may need to add kale in batches to the pot as it wilts to fit it all in. Season with salt and pepper and lemon zest and toss well. Add the water, mix once and then cover the pot. Let the kale cook with the water for about 5 minutes. Uncover and keep sauteeing until all the greens are tender but not too limp. Sprinkle with the lemon juice and serve.











Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts