amazon

Zeppole (Fried Ricotta Donuts)- Happy Blogaversary To Me!

Happy two year blogaversary to me! Two full years of cooking, eating and fun times in the kitchen and over 100,000 page views! Thank you to everyone who has made this blog fun for me by reading, making my recipes and commenting! Here is to another great year of cookery and Happy Chanukah!

For my first Chanukah recipe ( I have so many planned but probably won't get to post half of them till next Chanukah) I had to choose some special and the effort to fry anything to me makes something special. May I introduce the Zeppole, the Italian version of the cake donut, but fried and with ricotta cheese, only my most favorite cheese in the world. I found a basic recipe for them and jazzed it up with orange zest, vanilla and sugar and they were scrumptious! Heat your oil to the right temperature while frying (with the help of a thermometer) and your donuts or zeppole will never be greasy. I didn't have time but these would probably be great dipped in a little dark chocolate- dark chocolate and orange being a great combination. The dough is not a super sweet dough so these benefit from a heavy coating of powdered sugar upon their exit from their oil bath. Enjoy!!!!!!


1 cup flour
2 Tbl sugar
2 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
1 tsp orange zest
250 grams ricotta cheese, (or 1 cup plus 2 Tblspoons)
2 large eggs, beaten
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup confectioners sugar

2 liters of Canola oil for frying


In a large heavy pot or deep fryer start heating up your oil. You want to fry at 375 degrees. In a saucepan over medium heat combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, orange zest and salt. Mix in the eggs, ricotta and vanilla until it comes together as a dough. The dough will be sticky. Fry by the tablespoon taking care not to over crowd the pot. Turn the donuts over mid fry to make sure both sides are browning. Fry for about 1 minute per side. Drain and sprinkle with powdered sugar.


Comments

  1. Sorry I missed this post when it was posted. I am surprised to see that no one acknowledged this occasion. So please allow me to wish you a happy blogaversary! I'm glad you celebrated by posting donuts instead of something with sesame, nuts, or fish!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts